Monday, September 22, 2008

Musings from afar

Today I noticed on the news that some European tourists were kidnapped in southern Egypt. I was very surprised at hearing this unfortunate news for a variety of reasons. For one, the largest component of the Egyptian police is the Tourism and Antiquities force. Nearly everywhere I go in Cairo, I am sure to find a white-uniformed police officer with a large black patch on his shoulder which prominently reads "Tourism and Antiquities Police." This has contributed to what I consider to be a generally safe atmosphere. With the exception of the persistent cat calls that the girls garner on a daily basis, I feel very comfortable walking around Cairo. In fact, I would claim to feel safer walking around her than I do at Georgetown. Maybe DPS could learn from the police officers here in Egypt, and crime would not be such a huge problem in Georgetown. But, the case of the European tourists is different because they were kidnapped in the western desert, where you would be hard pressed to find a police officer amongst the towering dunes. Still, I want to stress that I feel very safe here.

On another note, a mutiny is brewing amongst the international study abroad student body. Many have signed a petition asking for AUC to partially reimburse their tuition because of the myriad of problems we have experienced due to the new campus transition. Some of their grievances are well-founded; in Heliopolis, where many international students are living, the rooms are small and inadequate, girls have experienced sexual harassment, and a general air of disgust pervades because of its location (it is a taxi ride from any sort of entertainment or social life).  I don't really know how I stand just yet because I have been lucky enough to live in an excellcent area of Cairo, and despite the disorganization inherent in a third world country, I've been able to make out okay thus far. I'm sure I will have a more definitive stance come November or December.

We have a break coming up in about a week which lasts for a little more than a week. A couple of my friends and I are planning a trip to the Sinai and Jordan. Hopefully I'll be able to visit the elusive Coptic Cairo this weekend.

Sorry for no pictures. More to come soon.

Ma'a salaama,

Blair

1 comment:

Tim Huether said...

don't get kidnapped. or let the egyptians take the suez canal. oh, wait...