Friday, August 22, 2008

First impressions of Cairo

Marhaban from Cairo!

I literally just got into my dorm room about an hour ago. It's sort of awkwardly put together in a triangular shape but it should work out just fine. I need to get some dinner, but I wanted to write down some of the first words that came to my mind as I was riding my bus from the Cairo airport to Zamalek, the area where my dorm is located.

HUGE CITY
old
dirty
pollution
alive
traditional
covered women
very, very loud call to prayer
plenty of cell phone shops (and RadioShack)
Falafel stands
beautiful Nile
dusty
TRAFFIC
disorganized

A lot of those things sound bad, but really, this city seems amazing and overwhelming. Hopefully, I'll get used to some of the more negative aspects, but thus far, the positives heavily outweigh them anyways. This city just seems to be alive in some way. Something about Cairo is mysterious and begs to be discovered. As the Egyptians would say, mafesh mushkilla (No Problem/Don't worry about it).

Ma'a salaama,

Blair

P.S. Brett, I saw a woman with a BOREALIS bag. There's a shout out.


4 comments:

Victoria said...

hi blair! im glad you made it there safely! my first thought when reading your blog was...
"mmmm...falafels."
better hit that up.
your blog is really nice to read (esp. the last paragraph). i really like your writing style! cant wait to hear more! glad you are enjoying yourself.
-victoria

Will One Thing said...

Blair, good to know you are safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

Blair- WOW you're no longer the little "BLAINE". You have an amazing opportunity knocking at your door. So glad I have a cousin so worldly and cultured. I'll enjoy reading more. I brag to my friends about you and Jen all the time.

I know no arabic, so goodbye!

Cousin Sarah

blumefeld said...

watch out for any produce.. you will get sick. i hate you.

niss