Monday, August 25, 2008

Khan al-Khalili and Al-Hussein Mosque in Islamic Cairo







Last night our orientation leaders (called Student Orientation Leaders, aka SOLs, haha) took us to the Khan al-Khalili market. This market dates back to the 14th century. It is most well-known for its array of tourist items (such as model pyramids and sarcophagi), perfumes, spices, and fabrics. Luckily, I had learned some bargaining techniques from my Egyptian Arabic teacher, Hana'a, and I was able to haggle a vendor to buy a kiffiyeh (the headdress worn by Arab men, most notably Yassir Arafat) for 20 LE (about $4 USD) when he originally wanted 90 LE. After wandering around for a while (and the girls getting tired of being called Shakira), a group of us sat at one of the maqhas (coffee house). I ordered a cup of coffee, and it was absolutely delicious until I got to the grainy bottom part that felt as though I was drinking mud. Adjacent to the suq (market) is the Al-Hussein Mosque, one of Cairo's holiest sites. The Mosque is said to be above the graves of the Fatimid Caliphs and home of the oldest Koran.

Ma'a salaama,

Blair



4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey Blair,

Bargaining is a life skill. :-) I did a horrible job of it at the markets in Hong Kong.

Tiffany

pd said...

praise be to muhammed there is only one god. I want to dedicate this fight to my brother Darbaram, he died, I'll be there to see you I love you with all my heart. Oh God man What!

Hasta lama leka midor

Nick said...

blair we need to talk when is a good time...max and i want to come to cairo for thanksgiving if your down...i'll wall post too

justin hunter scott said...

blair,

great pictures, great tales. you are like the charles dickens of cairo. i'll keep reading until you're back, baby.

jhs